Current Impact of Gastrointestinal Pathology


Current Impact of Gastrointestinal Pathology

JSPD is a prestigious journal publishing articles in the field of surgical pathology, celebrating the 10th Anniversary with the support of all the authors who have published in our esteemed journal by contributing.

It gives us great pleasure to read the eminent researches like you all your recent publications which had a great impact on its readers. We believe that your future work will be equally influencing. Hence, on behalf of our Journal, we take the privilege of welcoming you to share any of your current research for publication in upcoming (Volume 3 Issue 1) of the Journal.

Current Impact of Gastrointestinal Pathology as a Sub-Specialty

Digestive diseases affect 1 in 5 Americans annually – at least 60 million people in the United States each year. Digestive diseases account for approximately 50 million physician visits, nearly 25 million endoscopic diagnostic procedures and over 20 million gastrointestinal specimens directed to pathologists – representing $87 billion in direct medical costs attributable to gastrointestinal disease. The demand for gastroenterology care and diagnostic procedures continue to increase, driven by an increasing incidence of gastrointestinal disease and the need for colorectal cancer screening in the aging U.S. population. By 2010, gastroenterologists will perform at least 40 million endoscopic procedures annually, translating into $40 billion endoscopy and $12 billion related gastrointestinal pathology expenses annually in the U.S.

With less than 400 fellowship-trained gastrointestinal pathologists in practice in the United States, approximately 8% of the 20+ million gastrointestinal biopsies currently performed each year are reviewed by pathologists with fellowship training in digestive health and disease. The remaining 90 to 92% of biopsies are reviewed by highly skilled general surgical pathologists including some who have special interest in gastrointestinal pathology.

Note: Authors are sole responsible for any scientific misconduct including plagiarism in their articles; publisher is not responsible for any scientific misconduct happened in any published article. As a publisher we will follow strictly scientific guidelines and EIC’s advice to retract or erratum of any article at any time if scientific misconduct or errors happened in any articles.

Authors are requested to submit manuscripts at or send us an e-mail attachment to the Editorial Office at  or or

We have pubmed indexing NIH funded articles and you can find by the link

Best Regards


Journal Manager

Journal of Surgical Pathology and Diagnosis